Friday, April 17, 2009

Can you be a surgeon in New York if you studied med in Asia?

I want to be a surgeon in New York but I only have the means to study med here in Asia. Do US hospitals accept non-US citizens who have been trained somewhere other than the US? What if I get a green card, will that help?


I work for a surgeon who has been practicing in NY for 30 years. He originally graduated medical school in the Phillipines. And I know many MDS in my immediate area who have foriegn (often Asian) medical degrees. The key is where one does residency. My boss did his at Misrecordia in the Bronx, and gained his reputation as an excellent trauma surgeon. So it is far from inpossible, just a great deal of hard work. And to work legally anywhere in the US you will need documentation.

yes after induction

Yes, but you must pass exams a very good suggestion is to do residency in New York

No comments:

Post a Comment